Tuesday, September 17, 2019

REVIEW: The Complete David Tennant Collection Blu-rays


Oh how my opinions have changed. Four years and four days ago, I wrote:

I have been a casual fan of “Doctor Who” since I started watching the modern series in December 2012. But I am not so big of a fan that I want to own the series on DVD. Whenever I want to re-watch the show I will either stream episodes from Netflix or Amazon, or check out the DVDs from the public library...

This is what my Doctor Who DVD collection looks like now:


The only thing missing from the photo is "The Complete David Tennant Collection" Blu-ray set, which was released today. This is not going to be a technical review (where I review how the picture looks on Blu-ray vs. on DVD, considering how most of the episodes were shot in SD and up-converted to HD for the Blu-ray (except for the 2009 specials), the packaging, etc.) All of that can be found on other websites.

Unlike last year's basic DVD sets which only feature the episodes, these Blu-ray contain all of the special features from previous DVD and Blu-ray releases. This set also contains a disc which features the animated specials, "The Infinite Quest" and "Dreamland", "The Sarah Jane Adventures" episodes "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" episodes one and two, and a special interview with David Tennant that was conducted for the recent Fathom Events theatrical broadcast of "The End of Time" Parts 1 & 2.

Some completists will complain that it's not the complete David Tennant collection because he had a small role in the non-canon animated special "Scream of the Shalka", and "The Day of the Doctor" 50th anniversary special is also not included. I'm a completist, but I don't care about "Shalka" and I have "Day" on Blu-ray already (and it fits better with a Complete Matt Smith Collection).

The only thing I'm upset about is that, even though my favorite episodes of "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End" are by themselves on a disc, the disc doesn't also include the episodes edited together into a feature-length movie as featured on "The Doctors Revisited 9-11" DVD set. Also, it doesn't include "The Tenth Doctor Revisited" episode either, for that matter. It would be nice to have those on Blu-ray as well, but I'll make due with watching those on DVD.

I watched "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" episodes. When I originally watched the series three or four years ago, it was on DVD and an analog TV. This time it was on Blu-ray and a 4K UHD TV. The video was crisp and clear. I hope "The Sarah Jane Adventures" gets released on Blu-ray.

Right now I am working through watching The Peter Capaldi Collection DVD set, but once I am done with it I will watch The Complete David Tennant Collection Blu-rays. I will add more thoughts once I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment